An American's life in Australia, going to medical school, learning how to live, love, laugh and learn.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Cleveland Rocks!

Boy, was I confused.

Not that Bryan being confused is anything new or unusual. In fact, it seems – most days, anyway – to be typical. But this was different. This was in the emergency room of the WORLD FAMOUS CLEVELAND CLINIC, and I had just finished talking to a patient with chest pain. The attending physician, who is my boss, walked in and introduced herself to the patient, gestured in my direction and said she was working with Dr. Canterbury.

I turned around to see if this mythical ‘Dr. Canterbury’ was standing behind me…

It may be a bit late, but welcome to Cleveland, home of the WORLD FAMOUS CLEVELAND CLINIC. (I am required by contract to capitalize that whenever I type it. Something to do with trademarks and reputation. But I figure if the reputation is so great, they never would have let me through the front door as a patient – never mind as a student. But I digress.) Even though I am about 40 minutes form Mom and Dad, it seems really weird to be ‘home’. I still can’t get used to Ohio State hats and the Cleveland Indians on TV – not to mention the Browns! Of course, after 3.5 years in Australia the parental units, are happy to have me so close.

I’m sure that’ll wear off with all the dirty laundry I’m bringing home this weekend…

But I am back in the emergency room and having a blast. The doctors are a lot of fun, and the patient mix is pretty interesting. I saw as many traumas in the first two days in Cleveland as I saw in my whole month at Harlem. I had one patient drive from two hours away with chest pain because he wanted to be seen at the WORLD FAMOUS CLEVELAND CLINIC in case he had heart problems (he didn’t – it was only gas). This has been in addition to the usual stuff of sore backs, weird skin rashes, patients hearing voices and a slew of sore tummies, the last of which was a kid who swallowed something that showed up on x-ray. We weren’t sure what it was, so we started a betting pool on what it might be. We had to return everyone’s money in the end, though:

No one wanted to dig through the, uh, ‘collection’ he left us to find out what it was…

And with that, it’s the weekend. I’ll be at home with the family this weekend doing laundry and celebrating my sister’s 40th, er, 37th, um, 33rd birthday. Not to mention trying to track down this mysterious Dr. Canterbury…

As always, Love to All and keep working on your 101 List!
Bryan